[rt-users] 'strange' performance bottlenecks

Luke Vanderfluit lvanderf at internode.com.au
Mon Apr 10 23:46:59 EDT 2006

Hi.

We have a large RT system, consisting of nearly 400000 tickets.
Our set up is as follows:

We have 2 machines:

ticket1 (sun solaris 9)
=======
apache 1.3.27
rt345
mysql4 client

ticket2 (sun X4100 solaris 10)
=======
mysql5

The RT instance on ticket1 is talking successfully to ticket2 and
producing mostly very good speeds.
However we have a 'strange problem' occurring.
Every so often, twice a day, the mysql instance (on ticket2) maxes out
at 99% cpu use.
Then RT starts running very slowly.
This bottleneck can occur unpredictably and last for up to an hour.

I am currently trying to track down this problem but not having a lot of
success.
When the congestion occurs the mysql processlist shows around 10 similar
queries such as this one:
/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT main.id) FROM Users main , Principals
Principals_1, CachedGroupMembers CachedGroupMembers_2, Groups Groups_3,
ACL ACL_4  WHERE ((ACL_4.PrincipalType = Groups_3.Type)) AND
((ACL_4.RightName = 'OwnTicket')) AND ((CachedGroupMembers_2.MemberId =
Principals_1.id)) AND ((Groups_3.id = CachedGroupMembers_2.GroupId)) AND
((Principals_1.PrincipalType = 'User')) AND ((Principals_1.id != '1'))
AND ((main.id = Principals_1.id)) AND ((ACL_4.ObjectType = 'RT::Ticket'
AND ACL_4.ObjectId = 113141) OR (ACL_4.ObjectType = 'RT::Queue' AND
ACL_4.ObjectId = 5) OR (ACL_4.ObjectType = 'RT::System')) AND
((Groups_3.Domain = 'RT::Ticket-Role' AND Groups_3.Instance = '113141')
OR (Groups_3.Domain = 'RT::Queue-Role' AND Groups_3.Instance = '5') OR
(Groups_3.Domain = 'RT::System-Role'));
\___________________________

Each of these queries can take up to 100 or more seconds to complete
during the bottleneck.
If I run the query at 'normal' times, it returns almost immediately.
It seems that the bulk of the these queries together, stifles RT and
causes it to grind to a very slow pace. And maybe there is an underlying
query that could cause it.

My theory at present is that somewhere in the organisation someone is
doing a task that includes a specific query or group of queries that
causes RT to flounder.

I am running rt in debug mode, but have no clues as yet as to what is
causing the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards.

--