[rt-users] Debugging EX_TEMPFAIL with 3.4.3 and mailgate

Travis Campbell travis.campbell at amd.com
Wed Apr 12 16:20:06 EDT 2006

Hello,

One of our users has sent our RT system a message that keeps dumping rt-mailgate
with EX_TEMPFAIL errors.  I managed to grab a copy of the message from the
mail queue and recreate it so I could manually inject it in with debugging
turned on.

I get the following:

$ cat cyrus |/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue Mask --action correspond --url
http://helpus/ --debug
Connecting to http://helpus//REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway at /opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate line
99, <> line 1.
An Error Occurred
=================

500 read timeout
This is /opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate exiting because of an undefined server error at
/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate line 147, <> line 1.

The email doesn't seem anything out of the ordinary.  It's about 2.5
megabytes, has five attachments, and originated from Outlook.  I've verified
that mysql's max packet size is well above the message size and that RT will
accept attachments greater than 2.5MB.  The httpd process jumps to 99% of
the available CPU and consumes about 150MB of memory while processing

It appears that the size of one of the attachments is causing RT to spin
wildly for longer than the default timeout and I don't understand why.  The
specific attachment causing the most processing time is a 973KB powerpoint
slide set.

For now, I'm going to increase the timeout to 5 minutes, but I'd like to know
what I can do to further debug what RT is doing on the backend.

Anyone have suggestions or pointers on where to go to determine why RT is
spinning it's wheels?  It's like the MIME handling features are going off in
the weeds for a bit for this message, but setting the log level to debug and
watching rt.log shows nothing fruitful to chase.

Travis

  Travis Campbell  -  Unix Systems Administrator =    travis at mpdtxmail.amd.com
     5900 E. Ben White Blvd, Austin, TX 78741    =     travis.campbell at amd.com
     TEL: (512) 602-1888  PAG: (512) 604-0341    = webmaster at mpdtxmail.amd.com