[rt-users] custom scrip help - mail to GROUP

Kristopher Lusk klusk at brit.com
Thu Apr 20 10:24:40 EDT 2006

So, do you not have group email addresses like that in your organization?
Addresses like network at yourorg.com or workstation at yourorg.com?  I thought
most organizations did.  Of course, everyone also has their own email
address, but their address also belongs to the "larger", group address
(typically the name of their department).

If you did this, you could create Users on you installation of RT with the
appropriate department names and email addresses (e.g. Username - Network;
Email - network at yourorg.com), and your helpdesk could just make the "Owner"
of the ticket one of those "group accounts".  For example if Helpdesk Lady
selected 'Network' from the Owner dropdown, then RT would Notify
network at yourorg.com via email that they have a new ticket (On Owner Change
Notify Owner as Comment with template Transaction).  It kind of works the
same way on our list here, right? We all belong to
rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com, and when one of us sends an email we all
get it.

Anyway, then the Network/Workstation team lead or the team "ticketmaster"
(if it's a rolling role) can distribute the ticket to the appropriate person
on the team.  Or if you don't have anyone like that, then once everyone
reads the ticket, the appropriate person will know to take it.

How about that?