[rt-users] RT 3.6 performance problems

Theo Kramer theo at flame.co.za
Mon Aug 21 23:14:40 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 17:55 -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 04:32:51PM -0500, Jackie Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I've just upgraded our RT install to 3.6.1, and am having some problems with it.
> >
> > I can log in ok; I see the landing page; I can edit configuration, preferences, tools, etc. But the Tickets link is the link of doom.
> >
> > If I click on "Tickets", I get the beginnings of a Query Builder page, but it just thrashes around in an endless load state for about 10 minutes (with apache chewing up >700 meg and 99% cpu), then eventually dies. I get a partial form - pull-downs for id, subject, queue, status and owner. It gets about halfway through the Owner list before dying.
> >
> > We're using MySQL 5.0.22, and we have 156,000 users in the Users table.  I'm suspecting that's the problem.
> >

> We've had a lot of problems with MySQL 5.0's query optimizer. I'd
> strongly consider running 4.1 in production instead.

We have the same problem. In 3.0 only privileged users are returned in
the query builder, in 3.4+ all users are returned.

The problem appears not with the actual query - mysql 5 does remarkably
well for the actual query, but rather with the number of rows returned.
This chokes apache, the network and the browser.

Have a look at the apache log file to see the size of the html page
generated by RT for a hint (or view source in your browser if you have a
lot of memory).

> > I'm curious if anyone else is successfully using RT3 for a large number of users? Is there any solution here other than deleting a bunch of users?

Fraid not on our side as yet.

--
Regards
Theo