[rt-users] Block New Tickets from Email

Nathan E. Pralle tarsi at binhost.com
Fri Aug 25 12:02:40 EDT 2006

>> Is there a way to have new ticket creation blocked via email, but
>> allowed via command line utilities?

> Look in in lib/Interface/Email.pm at the Gateway method. There's a
> section in here that creates the ticket - you could remove that code,
> leaving in place the code that updates existing tickets.

Interesting idea, Steve.   It looks fairly straightforward; now I just
have to come up with some goods scripts to do ticket creation from a CGI
script.

> Apart from the code issue though, I'd worry about the inconvenience to
> users caused by totally removing the ability to send mail to the system.

True, but at this point the staff is so overwhelmed with spam that it's
worth attempting to rectify it through this method, simply to provide
better service.   We do spam filtering but the false positive rate is
too high to make it practical for anything but the most obvious of spams.

I'd probably rewrite Email.pm such that when a ticket would be created
it'll simply mail the user back and state that we don't accept new
support tickets via email -- please visit
www.ourcompany.com/support.html to open a new ticket.  I think that
should be a reasonable compromise.

Nathan