[rt-users] What kind of hardware setup are you using?

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed Dec 6 11:34:10 EST 2006

On Dec 5, 2006, at 5:24 PM, John Arends wrote:

> How do you all handle backups/DR? Is anyone else running RT in a
> virtual machine?

We use a live replication system to keep the DB up-to-the-second on
another DB server.  If the main DB dies, we just "failover" and point
RT at the backup. We also take nightly snapshots of the database on
yet another machine dedicated to that purpose on our network.  Once
per month, a set of snapshots is archived off to DVD and tossed into
a safe.  That pretty much covers our DB back up for RT...

As for system backup, the only thing we backup of our RT installation
is the etc/RT*Config.pm files and httpd+mailserver config files.  To
recover the RT installation, just re-install the software and copy
those handful of configs files back in place.  I suppose having a
snapshot of the VM would be faster to recover :-)

Our primary RT instance runs on a dedicated Dell 1950 with a hardware-
mirrored drive and a local Postgres database.  The replica runs on a
dedicated 'backup' db server which also backs up several other
databases.