[rt-users] Problems upgrading RTFM to 2.2.0RC4

Bill Davis daviswj at comcast.net
Wed Dec 20 04:49:48 EST 2006

After scratching my head a bit trying to figure out what "special
post-2.0 upgrade script", decided it had to be the 2nd step in the
README's upgrade procedures:

    "Upgrade instructions (From any  2.0.x release):
    1) perl Makefile.PL
    2) perl -I/path/to/your/rt/lib sbin/migrate-2.0-to-2.1
    3) Type "make install"
    4) Type "ls etc/upgrade"; For each item in that directory whose name
       is greater than your previously installed RT version, run:

                /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action schema \
                    --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
                /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action acl \
                    --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>
                /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database --action insert \
                     --datadir etc/upgrade/<version>

    5) stop and start your web server"

I had omitted that step because my best guess had been that the original
RTFM install was already a 2.1.xx version (still wondering how the user
can tell for sure which RTFM version is currently installed?) & was
unsure if it applied because the upgrade instructions are labeled "(From
any 2.0.x release)".  Decided to retrace my steps and go thru the
upgrade instructions step by step (omitting nothing) including executing
step 4 for 2.1.0, 2.1.30, & 2.2.0RC2.

Step 1 threw up the warning: Warning: prerequisite RT 3.4.2 not found.
We have 3.006001. ... ignored.
Step 2 appeared to properly migrate my custom fields & transactions.
Step 4 warned that for each version's "--action schema" command that
"Table 'Attachments' already exists at /opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database
line 212." & for each version's "--action insert" command that "Use of
uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
/opt/rt3/sbin/rt-setup-database line 162.
[Wed Dec 20 08:53:08 2006] [crit]: Can't locate /content in @INC  ..."

At the end of the process followed Bob's advice and reassociated my RTFM
custom fields (which were now again present) with the appropriate
classes.  My articles are now back & I appear to have a fully operable
version 2.2 RTFM.  Mega-thanks to both Bob & Jesse for your assistance.

Suggestion:  the upgrade instructions could be much clearer as to which
procedures apply to which versions.

Thanks again for both the help & an outstanding piece of software ...
Bill Davis