[rt-users] RT -- IRC integration?

Matthew Seaman matthew.seaman at thebunker.net
Wed Dec 27 07:18:46 EST 2006

Vivek Khera wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2006, at 4:19 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> We're thinking about proving an IRC service for our customers to
>> communicate with us, and as part of that we'd like to be able to
>> integrate it with RT for ticketing and ultimately billing purposes.
>> RT already does WWW and SMTP -- why not IRC too?
>
> When I first read this, I thought IRC would not be right for this task:
> it is a shared discussion and tracking who's talking about what is
> troublesome.
>
> It did seem logical though to add an IM interface, probably based on
> jabber.  You'd "chat" with your ticket.  Though this would probably be
> more of a cool interface for an admin to manage tickets instead of using
> the CLI program.

Hmmm.... yes.  IM(XMPP) certainly does seem like a better choice rather
than IRC.  I particularly like the difference in the way authentication is
done -- especially if we can get it hooked up using SASL to a common
back-end directory for authentication to various other services as per
RFC 3920.  Nice.

Using this interface as an administrative means of managing ticket status
is certainly a cool idea, but not a primary objective.  The big win, as I see
it, is that you get all the immediacy of a telephone call with the added
ability of the client to cut'n'paste from the screen.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew Seaman                            The Bunker, Ash Radar Station
PGP: 0x60AE908C on servers                   Marshborough Rd