[rt-users] Dealing with autocompletion failures in msg compose byremote users

Goddard Lee lee.goddard at easa.eu.int
Wed Jan 18 03:46:19 EST 2006

> So, one "nice" feature of RT is that messages go out as being
> from, e.g.
>
> 	"Joe Blow via RT" <rt at foo.bar>
>
> Unfortunately, we've been getting several cases of a user who
> has recieved RT correspondence having their e-mail client
> autocomplete "Joe Blow" into the RT address, rather than true
> address of "Joe Blow" (ldap lookup or personal address book,
> etc).  (I'm sure they get a list, but probably blindly accept
> the first match)

Users are such a pain. Have you tried to twiddle in RT_SiteConfig.pm

# By default, RT sets the outgoing mail's "From:" header to
# "SenderName via RT".  Setting this option to 0 disables it.
Set($UseFriendlyFromLine , 1);

# sprintf() format of the friendly 'From:' header; its arguments
# are SenderName and SenderEmailAddress.
Set($FriendlyFromLineFormat , "\"%s via RT\" <%s>");

Maybe if you put 'RT on behalf of %s' then their mail clients wouldn't
get so confused?

Hth
lee