[rt-users] Application speed and methodology

Schultz, Eric ESchultz at corp.untd.com
Wed Jan 18 15:53:58 EST 2006

We've been using RT (3.4.1 with selected bugfixes/features up through
3.4.5, as well as bugfixes/features of our own) for about a year at the
company where I am employed.  For the most part, people love the ability
to have an easy-to-view place to see tickets, to be able to track and
report on ticket creation, etc.  The only problem that we keep running
into is speed.  Part of the problem is that the company insisted on
Oracle for the backend.  In my tests, MySQL is always faster.  But as my
boss mentioned, sure, it could be up to twice as fast on MySQL, but
that's still 5x slower than he really wants.

The problem is that everything is using POSTs, and every single page
load does an enormous amount of queries.  I understand that the latest
version, 3.5.6, has some improvements, but it is still using the same
underlying ideas.  The improvements seem to only be incremental.  What
would it take to get more of the heavy-lifting done on the client side,
a la AJAX or php objects?  What would it take to have the application do
things in a more modern, responsive way, rather than the very old
CGI-style POSTs?

Thanks,
Eric Schultz