[rt-users] emails with attachments keep inserting into RT

Brandon Hall brandonh.hall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 01:51:45 EST 2006

On 1/30/06, Schultz, Eric <ESchultz at corp.untd.com> wrote:
> We had the same problem!  I thought it was a problem with Oracle, but
> you are running MySQL.  It timed out via email, and took a very long
> time in the web UI as well.  After a week of troubleshooting with the
> DBAs and others, we couldn't find where the problem was.  Doing a
> straight insert into the attachments table worked fine.  And the same
> thing worked fine on the MySQL instance in Dev.  We ended up having to
> enforce attachment limit sizes around 1MB.  But this didn't help all of
> the time, either, because the attachment limit works on individual
> attachments, not the sum of all of those.  So if someone attached 6 500K
> objects, we'd have the problem since they were trying to put a total of
> 3MB through.
>
> I thought it may be the mail server, but not since the web UI also takes
> forever.  Could you try testing that portion, with something like a 2MB
> or larger attachment and see if it takes a long time to return?  It
> appears something in RT is telling the mail server to give up and try
> again later, even though it eventually processes the ticket information.

Hmm. I think its comforting knowing I'm not the only one :)

I think the below error is really the root of the problem. It appears
mail gate proxies the connection to the web interface which has a
problem somehow, somewhere.

I'm also using fastcgi. I wonder if this problem would occur with
mod_perl? I originally tried mod_perl with RT, but it was not working
out. I don't recall the specific reason, but it was either crashing or
just plain FUBAR'ed.

Like you said, while the server is processing an attachment, a mason
process causes a very high CPU spike for approximately 60 seconds. I
imagine this is some how related.

libcgi-fast-perl                      5.8.7-7
libapache-mod-fastcgi                 2.4.2-7

localhost:/var/spool/cyrus/mail/b/user/user_user_com/Drafts# cat 11. |
/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --timeout 999 --debug --queue General --action
correspond --url http://tix.xyz.com

Connecting to http://tix.xyz.com/REST/1.0/NoAuth/mail-gateway at
/usr/bin/rt-mailgate line 99, <> line 1.

An Error Occurred

500 Internal Server Error
This is /usr/bin/rt-mailgate exiting because of an undefined server
error at /usr/bin/rt-mailgate line 147, <> line 1.
localhost:/var/spool/cyrus/mail/b/user/user_user_com/Drafts#