[rt-users] Internet Explorer Error

Thu Jul 27 10:10:27 EDT 2006

>> Hi, that problem has been solved!!!!  My machine have the name
>> rt_dev.example.com and i change to rtdev.example.com , and it works
>> fine, the problem was the underscore.
> That's not surprising... an underscore is not a valid character in a
> hostname, if I recall the RFC correctly.

This is true in only some contexts.  Email, for example - SMTP does not
permit underscores in domain names appearing in SMTP commands and
characters are permitted but discouraged.  See, for example, the first
paragraph of page 5 of RFC 2317.

> I'm surprised your DNS server allowed it.

All 256 octets are legal in DNS labels; any (supposedly)
general-purpose DNS server that doesn't support them is broken.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca