[rt-users] MySQL Server has Gone a way; No ticket created but e-mail is sent

Nick Metrowsky nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com
Fri Mar 3 16:23:47 EST 2006

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago I sent in a message similar to the problem I am about to describe. So, I hope someone can tell me a work around, as this problem is very annoying.

A user uses the web interface to enter a ticket, as far as the user is concerned the ticket was entered properly and is happily on its way of being taken care of. It looks like the ticket made it because e-mails are sent to the proper parties and everything is all right with the world. Like the clichés?

Anyway, behind the scenes the ticket never makes it in the database. The only record of this happening is that in /var/log/.messages (we are using linux), several errors messages are generated starting with "MySQL server has gone away". So, all the inserts and updates going to the database are dropped and no ticket is anywhere to be found.

The worse part about this error, it only happens less than 1% of the time.(35 times out of 3500 tickets created).

I have check the database, web server and other system logs and there is nothing indicating a problem. I also checked the database structure and tables in MySQL.

I am running RT 3.4.4 with RTx::SearchBuilder 1.39, mysql 4.1.15, RTFM 2.1.40, RTx::AssetTracker 1.2.2, RTx::RightsMatrix 0.02.05, RTx::Statistics 1.18, Apache 2.0.55, mod_perl2, perl 5.8.7. The only thing to add is that I upgraded from RT V2 back in December.

The bottom line, short of trying to figure out RTx::SearchBuilder, I have trie deverything I can think of.

Anyway, ideas would be welcome, as well as solutions to this rather nagging problem.

Take care!

Nick

Nick Metrowsky

Consulting System Administrator

303-684-4785 Office

303-684-4100 Fax

nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com <mailto:nmetrowsky at digitalglobe.com>

DigitalGlobe ®, An Imaging and Information Company

http://www.digitalglobe.com <http://www.digitalglobe.com>