[rt-users] How to setup inbounding email?

zhou jian sunzhoujian at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 16:41:42 EST 2006

Hello, everyone,

I tried to configure according to RT Essential.
However, I do have difficult to understand the
following description from that book. I am using Qmail
right now.And my qmail was installed in
/var/qmail/bin.
My rt was installed in /opt/rt3 while my httpd sever
was installed in /usr/local/httpd2055_rt.

I described my questions in the description. However,
the main problem is what I asked before. I couldn't
find all the location described in this book. Could
you give me somehint. Right now I have to configure
the inbounding email to make it work. Right now it
will not receive any incoming email.

BTW, I am running RT with a dynamic ip address right
now. It rarely change. Where should I configure to
make qmail work with dynamic ip address?

Thanks,
--Paul

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
.7.3. Using the mailgate with qmail
Unlike Sendmail and Postfix, qmail uses
specially-named files in a user's home directory to
determine the handler for a message. Since you have
already created a user account for RT, you can set
that user up to process all RT-related mail. When
qmail's delivery agent tries to figure out what to do
with an incoming message for a user, it first looks to
see if there is an extension to the username. By
default, this extension is separated from the username
by a dash (-), so you could have
rt-foo at rt.example.com, where rt is the username and
foo is the extension. If there is an extension, then
qmail will look in the rt user's ~/.qmail-foo file for
delivery instructions. Otherwise, it looks in the rt
user's ~/.qmail file.

To set up mail delivery into RT, you can create a
series of .qmail files, two for each queue (for
queue would be handled by these files:

//Do you know how to create the .qmail files for these

// two queues?

    # cat ~rt/.qmail-general

 |/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue General --action
correspond --url

http://rt.example.com/

    # cat ~rt/.qmail-general-comment

 |/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue General --action
comment --url http://rt.example.com/

//Do I have to just make a file like that?Once I
//created these two file, where should I put that
//?Should Ijust put that to the /opt/rt3 installation
//or are there other people to use?

With these files in place, mail sent to
rt-general at rt.example.com will become correspondence
in the General queue, and mail sent to
rt-general-comment at rt.example.com will become comments
in the General queue.

You also can create a catch-all .qmail-default file:

    # cat ~rt/.qmail-default

 |/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue $DEFAULT --action
correspond --url http://rt.example.com/

Anything sent to rt-queuename will be delivered as
correspondence to the queuename queue.

Note the rt- at the beginning of each address; that is
because the mail is actually being sent to the rt user
and handled using qmail's convenient features. Setting
up qmail so that these messages are handled globally,
and not by a particular user, is a little different.
Rather than a global /etc/aliases file, like the other
MTAs use, qmail has a general alias user that handles
all system-wide aliases. To make this user handle mail
for RT, simply create the files ~alias/.qmail-general
and ~alias/.qmail-general-comment with the same
content as before. This allows the RT addresses to be
general at rt.example.com and
general-comments at rt.example.com. Under RT2, the mail
handling script had to be setgid to the rt group, so
the user restriction was important, but under RT3,
this is no longer the case.