[rt-users] Newbie question-web interface customization

Todd Chapman todd at chaka.net
Mon Mar 6 15:59:44 EST 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:14:55PM -0800, Kathryn Axelrod wrote:
> Hi.
>

> We want to allow clients to view their tickets on RT, but want to
> control what else they are able to view (i.e. disable the 'Tools' tab).
>

> I have altered the Tabs file (saving it in the local directory),
> pointing its Tools path to a newly created webpage which states 'this
> information is unavailable'. Thus when a user attempts to access the
> Tools tab, they cannot see the information. We still are able to access
> the actual Tools page, but this requires manually entering the alternate
> address into the browser. This method kind of works. But I am trying to
> find a way to configure this such that the information denial is user
> specific, not global.
>

> I have been searching through the groups and user configurations
> attempting to find a way to set access to this information via
> permissions, but have not found anything. Is there any way to set up RT
> permissions for the sidebar links such that if Joe is logged in, he can
> access the Tools page. Whereas if Steve logs in, he receives a page that
> states the info. is unavailable?

Kathryn,

Do you want to create a new RT right that you can assign?

If so, create /opt/rt3/local/lib/RT/System_Local.pm

$RT::System::RIGHTS->{ShowToolsTab} = "show tools tab";
$RT::ACE::LOWERCASERIGHTNAMES{ showtoolstab } = 'ShowToolsTab';

Then change the local copy of the Tabs file to check for
that right, similar to the Configuration tab.

To enforce this check you need to copy /opt/rt3/share/html/Admin/autohandler
to the tools directory and change the right name in the file.

-Todd