[rt-users] More rt2 -> rt3 conversion woes.

Stegen Smith stegen.smith at websidestory.com
Wed Mar 22 18:36:02 EST 2006

Hello All,

So I've got another mucked up rt2 -> rt3 conversion issue.  I've searched
and read what I believe would be all the posts in regards to this, and
I've tried some of the things that they've told.

Here's the tale.  We've got an rt instance with almost 200k users, and a
little over 300k tickets.  I've got some new hardware to put the latest
version of rt on.  So i've got the new system setup and ready to go for rt3.
No biggy.

I've made a copy of the original rt database and put the copy on a staging
system while I test out the rt2 -> rt3 export/import script, as to not mess with
production instances.  I had DBIx::SearchBuilder-1.39 installed (the
only reason I mention this, was that this module was the focal point of
other questions regarding the import).  I was able to do an export, but
like others, I was not able to import.  There was a lot of user (and later to
be found... a lot of other) information that was missing.

I downgraded the DBIx::SearchBuilder down to 0.61, and started an export.
It just churned, churned, and chuned some more before the perl process
took all memory and exited out.  Quirky, I thought.  I figured that this
must have to do with the amount of users that we have, since that's the
first stage of the export process.   I re-upgraded to 1.39 and ran an
export, to at least get the user data out.  I then massaged that data
with another script to populate the rest of the missing fields from the
database.

It also exported the queues, tickets and so forth, but all that information was
bunk as well.  However, the users were ok!  I copied the metadata and tickets
over and imported the users using SearchBuilder-1.39 (I believe... this process
has been painful.)  Things went well until it had to import everything else,
which it couldn't once I got past the user import.  Gah!

I decided to go back to the staging host and nuke the users, or at least the
users without the Privileged bit set.  I downgraded SearchBuilder back to 0.61,
and restarted the export.  This time it started cranking through everything.
It didn't have any memory issues, and I was able to successfully (From what
I gathered) export everything else.  I did comparisons of the values I was
able to export using 0.61 versus 1.39, and the 0.61 export had a bit more
information.  So I assumed the export went ok.

I took this exported data and copied it back to the new rt instance.  I was
still using SearchBuilder-1.39, and when I do the import, here is the issue
that I run into:

<output snippet>
rt2# ./dumpfile-to-rt-3.0 test
Importing users
.... user stuff ...
.uCreating user stegen
.
Importing groups
rrrCouldn't load principal "" to grant them AdminGroups globally
$VAR1 = {
          'PrincipalType' => 'Group',
          'PrincipalId' => '7',
          'Name' => 'AdminGroups'
        };
[Wed Mar 22 23:21:48 2006] [crit]: 1 (/usr/local/rt/lib/RT/ACE_Overlay.pm:906)
[Wed Mar 22 23:21:48 2006] [crit]: Can't load a principal for id  (/usr/local/rt
/lib/RT/ACE_Overlay.pm:907)
rrr[Wed Mar 22 23:21:48 2006] [crit]: 1 (/usr/local/rt/lib/RT/ACE_Overlay.pm:906
)
[Wed Mar 22 23:21:48 2006] [crit]: Can't load a principal for id  (/usr/local/rt
/lib/RT/ACE_Overlay.pm:907)
rrrrCouldn't load principal "" to grant them AdminKeywords globally
$VAR1 = {
          'PrincipalType' => 'Group',
          'PrincipalId' => '7',
          'Name' => 'AdminKeywords'
        };
</output snippet>

gah... good times.  For giggles and grins, I decided to downgrade SearchBuilder
down to 0.61, to see what happens.

Here's what happens:
<another output snippet>
rt2# ./dumpfile-to-rt-3.0 test
Importing users
uCreating user ronni
.uCreating user root
.[Wed Mar 22 23:27:09 2006] [crit]: Can't locate object method "ApplyLimits" via
 package "RT::Handle" at /usr/local/rt/lib/RT/Principal_Overlay.pm line 417.
 (/usr/local/rt/lib/RT.pm:276)
</another output snippet>

ApplyLimits being a method that does not exist in SearchBuilder-0.61.

So I've been sitting here trying to get some sort of import to work.  I'm
wondering if anyone else may have any insight as to what is going on.   I'm
sure there's some information that I'm neglecting to include...

Anyways... any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
stegen