[rt-users] RT VMWare appliance

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Thu Mar 23 09:34:49 EST 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:41:52 -0500
Jesse Vincent <jesse at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 02:54:50PM +0100, Joop van de Wege wrote:
> > I have been testing my setup and can't get it any smaller then 6Gb
> > system and 2Gb swap which can be shrunken to about 980Mb.
> > I have to say that this is a Ubuntu 'Workstation' install which means it
> > has X installed and probably a whole lot of apps and services which you
> > don't need. I could find my way around a terminal only installation but
> > a lot of people can't. So the questions is, is this size acceptable or
> > should I try to dump as much unneeded stuff as I see fit?
>
> I did my install in ubuntu's "server" mode. I can get a compressed disk
> image of about 300 megs. (I'm running behind on getting the announcement
> of the torrent site out due to some family stuff.)   Of course, the
> bugzilla VMWare image is about 50 megs. We've got a ways to go to keep
> up with the Joneses ;)

I finally managed to finish my work on this and have the ubuntu.7z to a
size of 380Mb. This expands to a VMWare image of 2.5Gb.
This includes:
- Ubuntu installed in "server" mode
- Apache-2.0.54 mod_perl-2.0.1 Perl-5.8.7
- RT-3.4.5
- OracleXE
- Sendmail-8.13.4-3, configured rt(-comment) email alias
- gcc and related packages.

I might install RTFM (svn) and AT to make it a complete package,
everything else can be done by the end user.

Joop

--
Joop van de Wege <JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl>