[rt-users] RT migration and upgrade

Hammerman, Joe jHammerman at mobitv.com
Wed Mar 29 17:39:49 EST 2006

   Hello RT users list. I was hoping some knowledgable individual could help
   me out with the following problem. I'll begin at the beginning, as the
   problem is a bit complicated (but, I imagine, not that unusual).
   I was tasked with migrating the RT web tool to a new machine, and
   upgrading it. First I installed and configured it on the target machine.
   Then I ran a mysqldump of all databses on the original box. I scp'd the
   dump file to the target machine, and imported the databses with mysql
   command. Then I ran the in place upgrade script to migrate from rt 3.4.1
   to rt 3.4.5.
   However, I hadn't run my original dump with --compatible=ansi flag (thanks
   to the archives, I now know that this was the problem). This caused all of
   my binary attachments to become unusable. The migration only happened 3-4
   business days ago, so I got permission from my superiours to simply import
   the Attachment table (after it had been exported with the correct flags),
   and lose any newly created attchments. However, when I ran that set of
   commands this morning, it changed the contents of all of the tickets that
   I checked. Uh-oh! This data is pretty critical to the company. I can get a
   DBA to write an insert statement, which will hopefully avoid the
   unintended behaviour, but I thought perhaps someone on this list had
   encountered this issue themselves. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?