[rt-users] database migration

Luke Vanderfluit lvanderf at internode.com.au
Fri Mar 31 22:02:02 EST 2006

Hi.

I'm migrating from situation 1 to situation 2 as described below:

1. -mysql 4.0.18, rt3.4.5, apache 1.3.27 all running on the one box, say
ticket1.

2. -mysql5.0.19 on a new box, say ticket2
   -rt3.4.5, apache 1.3.27 on ticket1

So, instead of using a database on the local box I'm telling RT to use a
remote host for its database.

What I'll be doing is the following:
====================================
    - bring down necessary stuff (apache, sendmail etc.) on ticket1

    - change the config file (RT_SiteConfig.pm) on ticket1 to point to
ticket2
    - dump database on ticket1
    - import database on ticket2

    -start necessary services on ticket1 (apache, sendmail etc.)
====================================

I have done some testing from ticket1, which uses a mysql4 client, to
connect to mysql5 on ticket2.
So: 'mysql -u <user> -p<password> -h ticket2 rt3'
In order to get that working I needed to:
    -set all the passwords for users on ticket1 in the 'mysql' database
on ticket2 with the 'old_password' function. This is because encryption
has changed between versions.
'update mysql.user set password = old_password(<password>) where User =
'<user>' and Host = '<host or IP>';'
    -set the rt_user and rt_pass in RT_SiteConfig.pm on ticket2 to be
the same as those on ticket1 and make sure they work when connecting
using mysql4 client from ticket1:
ticket1:'mysql -u <rt_user> -p<rt_pass> -h ticket2 rt3'

I believe this is all I need to do when cutting over.
The only way to set database and host on ticket1 is in the
RT_SiteConfig.pm file.
The underlying libraries of RT (including DBIx::SearchBuilder) use the
parameters from that file.
As far as I know there are no other places where I need to tell RT which
host to use as its database, correct?

I haven't been able to actually test this cutover given that it's a
production machine.
If anyone has any suggestions on what to look out for when doing this,
I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks.
Kind regards.

Luke