[rt-users] basic info about localisation (I want to "translate" RT to Greek)

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu May 11 12:47:29 EDT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 01:52:29PM +0300, Nick Demou wrote:
> I've spent some time with RT and I liked it :-). So now I am willing
> to begin translating most texts to my language (Greek) so that other
> people can feel more comfortable with the web interface and the
> automated emails. I would be gratefull if you could you give me some
> pointers to related information.
>
> Nick Demou
> _________
> PS:
> I've allready searched the source and found a lot of xx.po files under
> the folder I18N with a format that looks straight forward:

You're halfway there already. There's just a little bit more you need to
do:

1) touch lib/RT/I18N/gr.po

This will create a blank file for Greek RT

2) make regenerate-catalogs

This will fill it with blanks for all the strings in RT

3) edit the file. It's just as you guessed it was ;)

4) Send the file to us, so we can package it with RT and share it with
everybody else.

I'd be indebted if you could start with RT 3.6.0pre1, rather than RT
3.4. It's almost ready for release (probably within a few weeks) and I'd
love to be able to include Greek in our supported languages.  RT 3.6
includes some new strings, so a 3.4 translation will still get us most
of the way there, though.

Thanks!

Jesse