[rt-users] Just a question about proper sequence of operations

John Boris jboris at adphila.org
Tue May 30 13:57:48 EDT 2006

We are very new at using RT(3.4.5 on fedora Core 4) and I have a
question on actually how to handle things. When I receive a telephone
request (We are slowly moving away from that type of request) I enter it
into RT by creating a ticket in the proper Queue changing the requestor
from me to the person who placed the call.  this gets assigned to nobody
or to the person that is assigned the queue. When I work on the ticket I
take ownership of it and I want to send a reply to the requester about
the progress of the request. When I click on the Reply button and create
a reply do I click on the Update Ticket or Save changes. What I am
trying to do is to record my reply in RT and have RT send out the reply.
What I had to do was click on the Reply link that is in the original
message (not the reply link at the top of the Display where it says
Reply take resolve etc). Then the reply gets logged and an outgoing
email is sent.  I am not sure why there are two buttons on the screen
(Update Ticket and Save Changes). It is confusing.

I want to update the ticket but also notify the requestor.

TIA

John J. Boris, Sr.
JEN-A-SyS Administrator
Archdiocese of Philadelphia

"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"