[rt-users] performance question

Filip Rembialkowski filip.rembialkowski at eo.pl
Wed Nov 29 06:34:12 EST 2006

hi all RT users,

at my work we have such setup:

135 queues
49000 tickets

RT 3.4.1 running on
Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_perl/1.29, Perl 5.8.4

I was running a test for following scenario:
. Connect to web interface
. Login as root
. Display one random queue
. Search for one random ticket using the top search box
. Logout

After enabling query logging, I have observed that running above scenario
_once_ resulted in almost 1500 queries to my postgresql backend. so this
is 1500 queries for the scenario, which essentially consists of displaying
3 pages:

1) home page with standard settings (queues visible on the right side,
 top10 and unowned in the middle)
2) the page with one particular queue
3) the page with one particular ticket

i have also enabled detailed query logging, and observed that about 60% of
database time is spent on queries which are used for ACL checking.

so... my question is: is this normal?
is it good for RT to ask so many queries to the database backend?

maybe is it possible to do some caching, in order to keep ACL data in
memory for faster access?

does anyone have ideas how to speed up RT on postgtres?

btw, here are test results:
13 seconds with mysql 4.1.11
30 seconds with postgresql 8.1.5 "vanilla" schema.Pg
18 seconds with postgresql 8.1.5 + some extra indexes (thanks to Rafael
Martinez)

greets,
Filip Rembiałkowski