[rt-users] Automatic assignment of tickets.

Stephen Turner sturner at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 11 10:06:17 EDT 2006

	Hi all,

	I'm trying to automatically assign tickets whenever someone either

	a) comments a ticket or alternatively,
	b) responds to a ticket

	The conditions are that the current owner is Nobody and the user
cannot be user 'X' (my supervisor for instance, might post comments on a
ticket first, but he's the boss and we want to exclude him from getting
ownership.)  Here's the Scrip I put together thus far. If anyone can shed
some light, that'd be great!

	PS: If there is a better forum for me to post this on, I'd be more
than happy to not waste any of your bandwidth and go there.

	Condition: On Comment (I'm not sure how to get On Comment AND On
reply at the same time? Need two different Scrips?)
	Action: User Defined
	Template: Global Template: Transaction (I'm not sure what this does,
need to look it up on the Wiki)
	Stage: Disabled (No idea what this one does either ..)
	Custom Condition:
	Custom Action Preparation Code:

	my $notOwner = "billybob"; # I don't want billybob to get assigned
any tickets no matter if he replies first
	my $Actor = $self->TransactionObj->Creator;

	return 1 unless $self->TicketObj->Owner == $RT::Nobody->id;
	$RT::Logger->info("Auto assign ticket #". $self->TicketObj->id ." to
user #". $Actor );
	my ($status, $msg) = $self->TicketObj->SetOwner( $Actor ) unless
$Actor == $notOwner;
	unless ( $status ) {
	    $RT::Logger->error( "Impossible to assign the ticket to $Actor:
$msg" );
	    return undef;
	}
	return 1;
	Custom action cleanup code: return 1;

	This doesn't look to do the trick. Any suggestions again, would be
more than appreciated.

	Thanks all!
	--
	Steve

Hi Steve,

This is exactly the right forum!

You don't mention what's actually happening - in what way is this failing?
Are there error messages in the RT log when this scrip is activated? Or does
it just silently not do what you want?

To have the scrip respond to either a comment or a reply, you could use a
custom/user-defined condition that checks the transaction type - relevant
values are 'Comment' and 'Correspond'.

For scrips that don't need to send email, you should use the Blank template.

I did notice one thing in the code: "unless $Actor == $notOwner". This won't
work, as $Actor is an Id number whereas $notOwner is a user name (string).
You can get the user name of the "actor" by doing
$self->TransactionObj->CreatorObj->Name.

Good luck,
Steve

Stephen Turner
Senior Programmer/Analyst - Client Support Services
MIT Information Services and Technology (IS&T)