[rt-users] migrating to a different host, maintaining MySQL data, but changing $rtname

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Wed Oct 18 17:06:49 EDT 2006

* On 17/10/06 13:56 -0400, Lee Whalen wrote:
|   Hello all, so I'm in a bit of a pickle.  I rolled out RT 3.4.5 on a
| testing-only basis to a low-end desktop server running Debian Etch
| called, cleverly enough, 'betart', fully intending to purchase better
| server-grade hardware and migrate over to it once we worked all our
| initial mistakes out.  I then purchased "RT Essentials" which, in
| hindsight, I should've done first.
|
|   After we'd been using RT on the beta system for a month or so, got
| all the wrinkles ironed out and got a whole bunch of really useful
| ticketing data on it, we purchased a shiny new Proliant box and slapped
| Debian Etch on it as well.  We were able to get RT, Apache, and all the
| fixin's up and running without incident, but now it came time to migrate
| the data over.  I followed the method described in RT Essentials on pgs
| 73-75 regarding backing up and restoring the MySQL DB, but then I
| noticed the paragraph that says "Make sure RT's configuration file has
| the same values it had before the crash.  It's particularly important to
| get the $rtname and $Organization variables right, or RT won't work
| properly".  Well, $Organization is no problem, that stays the same from
| the beta to the deployed box.  However, $rtname is definitely changing
| from 'betart.nellymoser.com' to 'rt.nellymoser.com'.  Other than that
| change, RT_SiteConfig.pm remains the same.
|
|   My question for you guys is, what does changing $rtname break between
| RT instances, and is it possible to just do a recursive search through
| the dump of the beta mysql db before importing it into the
| soon-to-be-production box and change all instances of "betart" to "rt"
| without causing the whole thing to crash and burn horribly?  Second
| question, there's a small amount of entries (such as deleted or
| "unprivileged" accounts, queues, etc) that we created that we don't use
| any more.  Is it possible to manually zap those from the MySQL DB and
| not hurt anything?  I think the Perl snippet on page 71-72 of RT
| Essentials would do it, but that appears to be on a per-transaction
| basis.  I don't know if that could be modified to delete entire queues,
| groups, or users.  Would it?
|
| Many thanks in advance for all your assistance!

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?RenameInstance

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington            		. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
wash () WANANCHI ! com			. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223			. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121			. (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |