[rt-users] Does formatting a saved search have to be this &*%!%! painful?

Ole Craig ocraig at stillsecure.com
Fri Sep 1 00:42:42 EDT 2006

I'm creating a "dashboard" of saved searches for my boss and the rest of
the company's executive team in our 3.6.0 installation. I started with
some already-saved searches which I can use to get at the info I need,
but wanted to add particular fields in particular places in the search
results screen, and in general rearrange the format to have the info
appear "just-so" for my not-very-pointy-haired friends. Each search has
about 12 columns, and I'm about ready to scream!

Is there any way to get a new field in a search to appear in the second
column of a multicolumn search OTHER THAN this cripplingly repetitive
process:

     1. select field under "display columns"
     2. select title, format, size, and style, and click "->"
     3. grab scrollbar in "show columns", drag to bottom, select new
        field, click "^" (uparrow)
     4. grab scrollbar in "show columns", drag down, find new field (now
        second from bottom), click "^"
     5. grab scrollbar in "show columns", drag down, find new field (now
        third from bottom), click "^"
     6. grab scrollbar in "show columns", drag down, find new field (now
        4th from bottom), click "^"
[...]

I'm hastening RSI onset with this... if this is the only way (short of
direct DB manipulation) to do it, this interface seriously needs to
change.

Ok, I'm done venting, but lord there has to be a better way. Any UI
hackers out there already solved this? Or am I just incredibly dense and
missed the obvious?

--
/Ole Craig
Security Engineer