[rt-users] RT 3.6.1 install question

Frank Saxton frankie at easyrider.com
Thu Sep 7 15:05:51 EDT 2006

That's very good information.  Thanks very much for the concise
step-by-step Roy.

I do plan to "import" the rt 3.0.? database into this new
installation but I figured it would be better to get the vanilla
3.6.1 install on the new server working first.  Did as you suggested
and to no one's surprise, there is no root account in mysql.  The
following "using password: NO" is the same error message I got when I
did a make initialize-database so that's the smoking gun.  Before I
break it again, any ideas on what I did wrong during the install phase?

By starting the installation fresh, do you mean configure, make
install, make initialize-database?

For RT_SiteConfig.pm, understood about rt_user.  What should I put in
the DatabasePassword setting?  Set($DatabasePassword , 'rt_pass');
?  That's the way it is on my original RT server.  I built a backup
RT server last year on 3.4.something and that has a null ( ' ' )
entry in the Password field.  Both RT servers are working fine.

Since the "drop rt3" command didn't work, can I just delete the
subdirectory or will that cause additional problems?

Output follows:  TIA!

******* This is why I can't log on to RT *******

[root at patrol etc]# mysql rt3 -p -u root
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 8 to server version: 4.1.7

mysql> select id,Name,Password from Users where Name like 'root';
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> exit
Bye

******** This is similar to the error I got when doing make
database-initialize ***********

[root at patrol etc]# mysqladmin drop rt3
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
[root at patrol etc]#

******** This failed too... files are still in /var/lib/mysql/rt3
**************

[root at patrol mysql]# mysqladmin -u root --password=xxxxxxxx drop rt3
Dropping the database is potentially a very bad thing to do.
Any data stored in the database will be destroyed.

Do you really want to drop the 'rt3' database [y/N] y
mysqladmin: DROP DATABASE rt3 failed;
error: 'Error dropping database (can't rmdir './rt3', errno: 39)'

*********** mysql versions currently installed ******************

MYSQL versions installed (just did an apt-get upgrade yesterday so
I'm surprised there is something newer out there.  I presume 4.1.7 is
fine though

mysql-devel-4.1.7-4.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.7-4.RHEL4.1
mysqlclient10-devel-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1