[rt-users] Attachments getting mangled

David Oberlitner david.oberlitner at aspidon.net
Thu Sep 14 12:58:54 EDT 2006

dyoung-rtusers at techsafari.com wrote:
> All,
>
>> Hello, Chris.
>> Could you backup your DB, and run next to SQL queries?
>> ALTER TABLE Attachments CHANGE Content Content LONGBLOB NULL;
>>
>> Then check if you could binary attachments without problems and report
>> back.
>> This query is safe but anyway I would suggest you to backup data.
>
> Running this fixed my attachment corruption problem, thanks!
>
> I think the Gentoo Installation Guide mentions changing some aspects of the
> RT database in the comments section near the end of the document.  This may
> be why both Jeremy and I had this problem (we're both running on GenToo).  I
> followed the threads listed in that Guide to finally get it working, but I
> honestly don't remember everything that was tweaked along the way.
>
> Perhaps someone more knowledgeable could change the GentooInstallGuide to
> reflect the above fix for future users?

Changing the Content type in the Attachments table
from LONGTEXT to LONGBLOB via

ALTER TABLE Attachments CHANGE Content Content
LONGBLOB NULL;

worked for me also. I observe the following in
/opt/rt3/etc/schema.mysql:

CREATE TABLE Attachments (
.
.
  Content LONGTEXT NULL  ,
.
.
) TYPE=InnoDB;

Is this an error in the RT3 MySQL schema?

Running Gentoo and RT 3.6.1

Regards,

David