[rt-users] RT selectively not sending email

Duncan McEwan duncan at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Sep 18 20:40:29 EDT 2006

> I just had this happen to me on Friday, too.  No error in any of my logs
> - in fact, my mail server log shows the email being received and
> accepted (for injection by rt-mailgate).
>
> Are you using procmail by any chance?  I am here, but until now, I've
> have no problems whatsoever.  I'm quite confused.

We also use procmail here (to filter spam out of our RT queues).  We
recently noticed that the default behaviour of procmail is to fail
silently (ie: return a status of 0) even if the rt-mailgate invocation
fails.  This meant that if for some reason our RT server was temporarily
unavailable any incomming email sent to it by rt-mailgate would be
lost (not get created as a ticket and no bounce back to the sender) :-(

So we changed our procmail recipes from

  :0
  |/usr/pkg/bin/rt-mailgate --queue bugs --action correspond --url ...

  :0
  EXITCODE=|/usr/pkg/bin/rt-mailgate --queue bugs ... ; echo $?

This causes procmail to return rt-mailgate's return code (ie: EX_TEMPFAIL)
back to sendmail.

We did just encounter one situation where the same ticket got injected
into an RT queue multiple times because it stayed in our sendmail queue
even though RT had successfully created the ticket.  We assume there
must be some situation where rt-mailgate can return EX_TEMPFAIL even
though it the ticket has been created.  Although this is a little annoying
we figured it wasn't as bad as losing tickets.  If it happens again we
will investigate in more detail.

As to the original posters problem:

> There are some users that RT won't send email to, upon 'Reply'ing to a
> ticket, these users, both as Requestors and as AdminCC's, are not listed
> in the "This message will be sent to" box.
>
> On a clean install (rt3.4.5, perl5.8.8, postgresql7.4, apache1.3,
> solaris10) there are four autocreated users. Each user is a global
> SuperUser, each user is a watcher in the default General queue. The same
> two users are consistently not sent email. The other two users are
> always sent email, both as Requestors and as AdminCC's.

One thing that has bitten me in the past -- do those users have an email
address recorded for them?  At least our version of RT (3.4.5) will not
send an email if there is no email address (I had assumed that it would
just use their username instead, which in our case is always the same,
but apparently not).

Duncan