[rt-users] ticket reopen

Ronald Nissley ronn at emm.org
Mon Apr 30 11:54:26 EDT 2007

> I have the same issue in that when users reply to a
> "resolved" issue it will add it to the ticket but I also want
> it to re-open the ticket.  I realize that this is probably
> not the usual functionality but we will many times resolve a
> ticket and the user has followup questions which we never
> know about because it has now fallen off our radar.  I also
> realize that things like "Thank You", etc. will drive us
> nuts.  But that is ok in our situation.
>
> I know it is a Scrip that would do this but I just don't know
> enough about RT yet to create it from scratch.
>
> Lance Wilson

Default RT behavior is to re-open a ticket upon reply.

To avoid pointlessly re-opening tickets, you could politely ask (with an
explanation) your users to not reply to resolve notices with thank you
notes.

The OnResolveOnce scrip contributed by Russell Mosemann (see
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/index.cgi?OnResolveOnce) also works well
for us. It notifies the requestor only the first time a ticket is
resolved. Tickets are still re-opened on reply/comment, but it prevents
something like:

Tech            resolves ticket, requestor notifed
Requestor    sends thank you reply, and re-opens ticket
Tech            resolves ticket, requestor notified
Requestor    sends reply, wasn't this already resolved...
Tech            resolves ticket, requestor notified

Instead you may have:

Tech            resolves ticket, requestor notifed
Requestor    sends thank you reply, and re-opens ticket
Tech            resolves ticket, requestor _not_ notified

HTH,

Ronald Nissley