[rt-users] 3rd party reply on a ticket creates a new ticket

Ian Marlier ian.marlier at studentuniverse.com
Fri Aug 3 00:01:06 EDT 2007

On 8/2/07 6:39 PM, "Kris Boutilier" <Kris.Boutilier at scrd.bc.ca> wrote:

> [...]

Just as an aside on this thread, possibly most of interest to Best
Practical: I'm using effectively the same setup that Kris describes above.
Almost all of my users describe themselves as very satisfied with the RT
system, but that this particular situation (multiple tickets opening due to
CC's, etc) is their one significant complaint.  The signal-to-noise ratio
becomes significantly smaller, depending on the config of specific queues.

(Yes, I have some picky users)

I've often wondered whether it would be possible to do some kind of an
(optional) caching mechanism for message bodies; if greater than, say, 90%
of the text of a cached message body is contained in a new request, then
assume that the two are related (or just create a single-click link to merge
the two, or something).

In my experience, a body-text-cache that held that text for 60 minutes would
be sufficient to eliminate all but a few stragglers of this particular type
of annoyance.

Perhaps not feasible...but if it was, it would be neato :-)

- Ian