[rt-users] Seeking notification method advice

Gene LeDuc gleduc at mail.sdsu.edu
Wed Aug 22 17:40:07 EDT 2007

Hi Tim,

I'm not volunteering to build a custom module, but I don't think you need
one.  I'm pretty sure you can do what you want simply with a User Defined
condition that traps the custom field change and NotifyOtherRecipients as
the action.  You make a custom template that has your basic boilerplate in
it and do a little bit of coding to get the contents of the custom field
and then the members of that group and then the e-mail addresses of the
group's members.

Your scrip condition would be something like:
   return $self->TransactionObj->Type eq 'CustomField' &&
$self->TransactionObj->Field eq 'Building';

In your template you get the value of the field with:
   my $bldg = $Ticket->FirstCustomFieldValue('Building');

I haven't written anything to enumerate members of a group, but it's
probably pretty straightforward.  After you get the group members, you
cycle through them using something like:
   my $addresslist = "";
   while ( my $user = $Group->Next ) {
     $addresslist .= ", " if $addresslist;
     $addresslist .= $user->EmailAddress;
   }

Then you do the e-mail:
   $OUT = "From: $from_address
To: $addresslist
Subject: $subject

Boilerpalte text goes here.
";

Regards,
Gene

At 02:09 PM 8/22/2007, Tim Wilson wrote:
>Everyone,
>
>This looks like a useful and flexible approach. I already have an "On
>Create" scrip that inspects the requestor and sets the "Building" custom
>field from the user's LDAP record. Now it seems to me that the best
>approach going forward is to create a scrip that triggers whenever that
>custom field gets changed. That should fire off after the original On
>Create scrip runs and anytime the field is changed subsequently, right? (I
>can imagine a situation where the Building CF would be set incorrectly
>requiring some manual intervention. Tying the scrip to that CF value
>changing would be useful in that situation.)
>
>For the Condition, I'll use the custom one referenced in the wiki here:
>http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/OnCustomFieldValueChange
>
>The template seems straightforward too.
>
>That leaves me with a question about the scrip action. To make it as
>generalizable as possible, wouldn't I want to create an Action as a perl
>module (let's call it "Notify Building Tech Team") that grabs the newly
>changed "Building" custom field value and then pulls the list of techs
>from the corresponding group? This shouldn't require a custom action for
>each different building right?
>
>Next question: Who can build this for me? It's well outside my perl
>comfort zone, and I'll pay the going rate. Send me a private email if
>you're interested.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-Tim

><6.2.1.2.2.20070822082810.02570978 at mail.sdsu.edu>, Gene  LeDuc
><gleduc at mail.sdsu.edu> wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > The number of schools is small enough that I'd do it this way:
> > 1.  Create a group with the same name as each school (BHS in this
> > case).  The members of the group are the respective techs.  This lets you
> > scale to multiple techs at a single location or have a single tech cover
> > multiple locations.
> > 2.  When you get the info from your LDAP query (BHS), use it to get the
> > e- mail address of each member of the BHS group, then send your
> notification
> > to the resulting e- mail list.
> > 3.  As techs come and go, just update the group membership.
> >
> > Have fun!
> > Gene
> >
> > At 08:04 PM 8/21/2007, Tim Wilson wrote:
> >>Hi everyone,
> >>
> >>Our RT system is used throughout our school district which includes eight
> >>different schools. Each school has its own technician who handles the vast
> >>majority of tech support requests at that school. All of our RT tickets
> >>feed into a central queue called "Incidents," a design decision that
> >>allows our techs to help one another by dipping into the Incidents queue
> >>to grab tickets when they have time.
> >>
> >>I just finished a scrip action that sets a custom field for each ticket in
> >>the Incidents queue based on the result of an LDAP query. For example, if
> [...]

Gene LeDuc, GSEC
Security Analyst
San Diego State University