[rt-users] Scrip to not auto-reply mail send to specific to-address

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Feb 13 09:41:04 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 05:06:16PM +0000, Puuter . wrote:
>    I'm new to RT so maybe this seems obvious to you, but since I
>    installed RT (on Windows) I've got this problem: In my company we
>    use internally an e-mailaddress that sends to every mailbox in the
>    domain. Let's say it's the address: everybody AT ourdomain.com
>    Everybody means everybody and so this means dat also rt get's
>    the mail (at the address: rt AT ourdomain.com ) Since rt gets an
>    e-mail, rt makes a ticket and sends an auto-reply, which is of
>    course both unnecessary in this case.

I can predict what answers you're going to get to this, and I agree
with them: it's the aliases 'fault'.

The only *practical* way to solve this problem (unless you can scrip
based on the To: address (which had better be "everybody", or else
you're completely screwed :-) is to make the 'everybody' alias *not*
expand to include your rt address.

Since you don't say what's handling your email, I don't know exactly
how you'd do that, but since you mention Windows, I assume it might be
Exchange, and it may be Exchange that's handling the expansion of the
alias.  In which case, I don't feel your pain -- cause I use Postfix.

:-}

Cheers,
-- jra