[rt-users] Dev & Prod RT

Scott Golby sgolby at freshdirect.com
Thu Jan 18 15:24:55 EST 2007

> If i start out with both machines equal then make changes to the dev
> machine. To bring the production one current all I'd need to do is
rsync
> the /opt/rt3 directory to the prod machine?
>
> Basically I'm making sure that what isn't in the DB is contained in
> the /path/to/rt3 folder. I'm pretty sure, just wanted to make sure
> before i commit to this setup :)

I think you've hit the nail on the head here, most of what makes RT is
within the Database.  I've dumped out my DB and moved it from Dev to
Prod when I've done the initial setup.  Doing that later once Prod has
been active is a little tricky, I'm sure some smart person has a way to
sync the Templates & Scrips, but I usually open 2 windows and cut and
paste once I've got a new setup working well on my Dev RT.

If you're making changes to RT_SiteConfig.pm or adding customization in
/opt/rt3/local/ then rsync could be used.  I suspect those changes
wouldn't be that many.  Give rsync -n a run and see what the differences
are.

If any gurus out there want to enlighten me to a solution of moving
custom fields from Dev to Prod without retyping, I'm listening.  :-)

- Scott