[rt-users] How does RT find an existing ticket for a new email?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at genarts.com
Tue Jul 10 18:10:47 EDT 2007

Ole Craig wrote:
>     I use procmail to get to RT, so I created a procmail recipe specific
> to this partner's sender addresses that pipes incoming email through a
> perl filter;  the filter grabs the SR out of the subject line and then
> attempts to find an RT ticket that matches. If it does, it inserts the
> appropriate [$rtname #$ticketid] into the subject line before passing it
> on to rt-mailgate.

That sounds like a start.  If I were going to do this (hmm...) I think I'd
start by pulling out all the tickets for that sender, and first look at the
headers (In-Reply-To etc.) to see if I could find a match, and then try fuzzy
matching on the content.  In our world, we don't expect to have that many
tickets per sender, so it might work.

Maybe some day rt could get callbacks in the email ingestion routine so there
could be plugins to do this kind of thing?  (Maybe it has them now & I just
don't know it!)

Thanks for the ideas!

-- Gary