[rt-users] Configuring Apache for RT

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Tue Jul 17 15:00:15 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 07:51:20PM -0500, jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com wrote:
> First, you probably didn't install mod_perl or any flavor of FastCGI.  To
> install FastCGI in Fedora:
>
> yum install mod_fcgid

True.  I was trying to follow the wiki.  Since the FC6 wiki is neaarly
completely unusable for FC7, I've started an FC7 InstallGuide and am
endeavoring to make it far more useful to folks in my position, who
don't know these secrets :-)

> Next, you can't just include that virtual host config verbatim - it isn't
> going to work - you have to modify it for your system.  That code assumes
> you are using Apache's FastCGI module, for one...

That's exactly what I'm talking about :-)  As far as I can see, there
should be one "right" way to make this work under FC7, the way that
presupposes all of the ways FC7 will have RT and its' dependencies
installed.

> Instead, create an
> rt.conf file in /etc/httpd/conf.d.  Put the following in it:
>
> LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so
>
> # Use FastCGI to process .fcg .fcgi & .fpl scripts
> # Don't do this if mod_fastcgi is present, as it will try to do the same
> thing
> <IfModule !mod_fastcgi.c>
>     AddHandler fcgid-script fcg fcgi fpl
> </IfModule>
>
> # Sane place to put sockets and shared memory file
> SocketPath run/mod_fcgid
> SharememPath run/fcgid_shm
>
> # Main instance
> Alias /rt/NoAuth/images/ /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/images/
> ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
>
> This assumes the Fedora RT RPM was installed in /opt/rt3

Which it isn't... /usr/share/rt3/html/ is where rt3 lives under FC7

Anyway... the RPM installs /etc/httpd/conf.d/rt3.conf:

Alias /rt3 "/usr/share/rt3/html"

PerlRequire /usr/sbin/webmux.pl

<Directory "/usr/share/rt3/html">
  AllowOverride All
  Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks

  RewriteEngine On
  RedirectMatch permanent (.*)/$ $1/index.html
  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler RT::Mason
</Directory>

Out of the box, that doesn't work.  httpd will start, but I get the
message about the web server not being configured.  I pasted in the
example you gave above and modified it to the FC7 defaults:

LoadModule mod_fcgid.so

# Use FastCGI to process .fcg .fcgi & .fpl scripts
# Don't do this if mod_fastcgi is present, as it will try to do the same
thing
<IfModule !mod_fastcgi.c>
    AddHandler fcgid-script fcg fcgi fpl
</IfModule>

# Sane place to put sockets and shared memory file
SocketPath run/mod_fcgid
SharememPath run/fcgid_shm

# Main instance
Alias /rt/NoAuth/images/ /usr/share/rt3/html/NoAuth/images/
#ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/
ScriptAlias /rt /usr/sbin/mason_handler.fcgi

However, the "LoadModule mod_fcgid.so" makes httpd fail to start without
any error logged to error_log, so I'm dead in the water again :-(