[rt-users] Configuring Apache for RT

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Tue Jul 17 19:36:28 EDT 2007

Choose the method you prefer, but I would at least try.  Other than Apache
and either mod_perl or some flavor of a FastCGI module, your only
dependencies are Perl modules.  Install the CPAN installer and use the
'make fixdeps' option within the RT source code to install what it can.
Then install the rest of the rest of the modules via yum.  Finally, the few
that possibly don't install, get the source from CPAN and manually install
those last few Perl modules.  At this point, you're basically done.

You at least need to read the documentation on RT's website to know how to
configure Apache as well as the RT_SiteConfig.pm file.  Almost nothing you
install (Apache, Postfix, etc) via yum is going to work with the default
config files - you must read and understand the documentation and make the
changes necessary - this goes for RT as well.

Lastly, you should download the RT source, gunzip, untar, etc, read the
docs, do a './configure' and then do 'make testdeps' to see if you are
missing any dependencies that should have been installed during the yum
install of RT.  At least that will tell you if you are missing anything.

If you are unwilling to  do this, that's fine, but the help you receive on
this site is going to be limited.

James Moseley

             John Oliver
             <joliver at john-oli
             ver.net>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
             rt-users-bounces@                                          cc
             lists.bestpractic
             al.com                                                Subject
                                       Re: [rt-users] Configuring Apache
                                       for RT
             07/17/2007 06:07
             PM

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 04:36:26PM -0500, jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com wrote:
> You state starting apache still fails...  I assume you did do the
> following:
>
> yum install mod_fcgid

Yes.

> Honestly, I would uninstall the RT3 RPM and install RT from source.
> Documentation is fairly straightforward.

Not an option.  I wasted a week trying to resolve an endless string of
dependencies and was never able to get anywhere close to where I am now.

The fact that there are RPMs available in the yum repositories is more
likely to mean that someone has been able to make them work, rather than
someone is just a sadistic bastard.  I just wish they had bothered to
document the process.