[rt-users] Has anyone gotten RT working under FC as installed from yum?

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Wed Jul 18 14:02:13 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 08:09:55PM -0700, Robert Long wrote:
> We have a couple of RT installs from RPM, 3.6.3 (upgrading tonight to
> 3.6.4) under FC6, and a 3.4.5 under CentOS 5.  I don't recall doing
> anything particular that needed to be done in either case, save for a
> modification in the 3.6.x code that I've posted on this list a few
> times, but I think that might have more to do with my particular Apache
> setup than anything else*.
>
> What type of difficulty are you experiencing?  Could you break what
> isn't working down into some categories such as Apache, database, perl,
> and configuration?

I started by following the InstallGuide at
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/FedoraCore5InstallGuide  I did 'yum
install rt3' and that was successful.  I then symlinked /var/www/html to
the RT3 html folder.  When I access that web server, I get:

You're almost there!
You haven't yet configured your webserver to run RT. You appear to have
installed RT's web interface correctly, but haven't yet configured your
web server to "run" the RT server which powers the web interface. The
next step is to edit your webserver's configuration file to instruct it
to use RT's mod_perl, FastCGI or SpeedyCGI handler. If you need
commercial support, please contact us at sales at bestpractical.com.

I'm trying to find out just *how* I make Apache use FastCGI or something
similar.  The page
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/FastCGIConfiguration doesn't help...
the section that seems to address httpd 2.X gets me an Apache that fails
to start, but doesn't log anything to /var/log/httpd/error_log  Same
with the one suggestion I've received from the list so far... I was
given:

LoadModule mod_fcgid.so

# Use FastCGI to process .fcg .fcgi & .fpl scripts
# Don't do this if mod_fastcgi is present, as it will try to do the same
thing
<IfModule !mod_fastcgi.c>
    AddHandler fcgid-script fcg fcgi fpl
</IfModule>

# Sane place to put sockets and shared memory file
SocketPath run/mod_fcgid
SharememPath run/fcgid_shm

# Main instance
Alias /rt/NoAuth/images/ /usr/share/rt3/html/NoAuth/images/
ScriptAlias /rt /opt/rt3/bin/mason_handler.fcgi/

But the LoadModule line (yes, after mod_fcgid is installed from yum)
causes Apache to fail to start with no logged message.

I don't see any way that you could have done 'yum install rt3', accessed
the web server, and had a working install ready to go.  I'm trying to
find out what steps are required to make this go so I can document them
in the wiki pages.

Thanks!