[rt-users] monitoring RT

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Mon Jul 23 10:35:43 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 09:22:31AM -0500, James Moseley wrote:
> That's why folks hire system admins - so when things stop working, they can
> restart them.  ;-)  Other than monitoring HTTP and MYSQL via Nagios, you
> could always write a Nagios plugin that would bring up the RT login page
> and login with a real username and password.  If that is successful, then
> you consider RT to be up.  If the login attempt generates errors or times
> out, then you can assume that RT is 'down' and Nagios generates an alert.

The (sort of) problem I have is that there are sysadmins, and they use RT
as end users (internally) but when I asked them how they wanted to set up
monitoring the system (if necessary to wake them up when it needs restarting,
or just TLC) I got a sort of "meh" answer, rather than what I was hoping for.
(I wanted "We do monitoring like this round here" so that there would then
be an obvious way to extend that to RT)

Hence the slightly daftly phrased question - I was hoping that a good
solution already exists that they'd then agree to quickly.

Nicholas Clark