[rt-users] Ticket creation fails sporadically (RT 3.4.5)

Benjamin Schieder blindcoder at scavenger.homeip.net
Tue Jul 24 05:13:39 EDT 2007

Hi List.

I'm using RT 3.4.5 for a while now. Recently, load on the ticket
system has increased from a ticket a week to several tickets a
day.

Now some users are experiencing problems with ticket creation.
When they create a new ticket using the webinterface, the ticket
is not always created. Mails are sent to users, but no ticket
appears in the database.
This has happened to several users in several different queues.
After a few (sometimes up to ten) retries, the ticket is finally
created and the mis-tries are also counted in the ticket numbers.
Example: Next ticket would be #300. Ticket creation fails 5 times,
then succeeds. Ticket number then is #305.

I am, however, not able to reproduce this error on my workstation.

The logfile indicates that "the mysql server has gone away".
Whatever that means. The MySQL server is located on the same machine
and spoken to via socket.
I've confirmed that CPU load was at near-100% idle and free RAM was
around 300 MB (according to `top').

A screenshot of the error is at:
	https://pallas.crash-override.net/~blindcoder/RT-Fehler.jpg
The complete `debug'-level Logfile of an error (~170 kiB) is at:
	https://pallas.crash-override.net/~blindcoder/log.txt

If any of you have an idea as to the root of the cause, I'd be
happy to hear about it :-)

If there's an information needed that I missed, please also let me
know.

Greetings,
	Benjamin