[rt-users] Workflow question: RT on both ends of a ticket

Carl Vincent c.a.vincent at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Mar 12 06:55:24 EDT 2007

Hi,

We've been using RT for a couple of years (currently on 3.2). I'm just
looking for some suggestions on how to solve a problem we have - it's a
workflow thing rather than a techical issue!

One part of our business organises workshops at venues around the
country - we use RT tickets to communicate with the contact at the venue
we're hiring and also tickets to communicate with people like catering
contractors. That's working great - RT saves us a lot of hassle.

Additionally we have our own venue here at Newcastle which we hire out
to other people. Again we use RT to communicate with the person hiring
and also with catering contractors when we're asked to organise food on
behalf of the hirer. Again, this works great. RT is just the job.

The fun starts when we want to run a workshop at our own venue:
Following the plan above, our RT system ends up on both ends of the
ticket. Ideally the workflow process would be the same whether we're
using our venue of one elsewhere, but at the moment our team have to
treat these tickets differently (tickets are linked
refers-to/referred-by and you have to check both for the full picture).

I've kind of resigned myself to run a separate RT for our venue
management operation - then the two RTs can talk to each other. I'd also
considered writing something to rewrite the headers to fool RT into
thinking it was talking to a separate RT instance - though I don't know
how hard that would be.

Does anyone else have a suggestion to smooth out this abnormality in our
workflow?

Cheers

Carl

     Carl Vincent             http://www.netskills.ac.uk/ (URL)
     Systems Manager                       0191 222 5003 (voice)
     Netskills, Newcastle University       0191 222 5001  (fax)
     Training  -  Accreditation  -  Consultancy  -  Development