[rt-users] RT 4

Dan Wright wright at smx.pair.com
Wed May 2 19:22:39 EDT 2007

On Tue, 1 May 2007, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> If, for the sake of argument, Best Practical were to rewrite RT, what
> would you want to see in the new product?

1.  An easy migration path for version 3 installs with custom code.

2.  Ability to store one ticket in multiple queues.

3.  Ability to add custom fields to any kind of object, not just tickets
(Particularly Users and Queues)

4.  A special kind of custom property that allows individual users to each store
their own unique value for the property.  For example:  user joe can set value
123 for property x on object y, and user jane can set value 456 on the same
property.  Each user sees the value they set.  (Ability to see other values set
optional but unimportant to me)  I mostly want this in combination with request
#3 above so that I can store per-queue and per-user preferences for each user.

5.  Tickets created by unrecognized e-mail addresses held in a separate table
until moderated.  No ticket id assigned, user account not auto-created until
ticket is approved.

6.  The ability to add multiple statuses that are functionally equivalent to the
ones that already exist would be useful.  For example, I might want to have two
or three statuses that all mean "Stalled".  Doing a search for tickets where
status = stalled would find all of them, but I would also have the option of
searching for tickets with each kind of stalled ticket.

7.  Ability to get some feedback from /NoAuth/mail-gateway, like the ticket #
just created.

8.  Ability to disable certain global options (scrips, watchers, etc..) for some
queues.

9.  I'd like the ability to specify multiple $CanonicalizeEmailAddressMatch /
$CanonicalizeEmailAddressReplace pairs.

10.  Ability to merge users the same way that tickets may be merged now.  When
users write in from three different addresses and have new user accounts auto
created, I want a way to teach RT "these are all the same person".

11.  More documentation.

(and can I get fries with that?)

Thanks,
-Dan