[rt-users] Tryin to disable automatic User creation

oakcluster oakcluster at comcast.net
Thu May 10 23:26:08 EDT 2007

I would like to disable the automatic creation of users that is done via
email.
We use RT only for a very select group of people and try to keep it
tightly controlled. The main reason for this is maintenance. We are not
staffed to handle
the care and feeding of RT on a large scale and we are only evaluating
it right now. Still people talk and so we are getting request from
people that are not in our test groups. Since the groups are small it is
not impractical to manually add and delete users at this point. So I
just need a way to turn off that automatic user creation.

I read the RT_Siteconfig.pm and found the following:

   # If $SenderMustExistInExternalDatabase is true, RT will refuse to
   # create non-privileged accounts for unknown users if you are using
   # the "LookupSenderInExternalDatabase" option.
   # Instead, an error message will be mailed and RT will forward the
   # message to $RTOwner.
   #
   # If you are not using $LookupSenderInExternalDatabase, this option
   # has no effect.
   #
   # If you define an AutoRejectRequest template, RT will use this
   # template for the rejection message.

I created an AutoRejectRequest template

and set the following:

    Set($LookupSenderInExternalDatabase, 1);
    Set($SenderMustExistInExternalDatabase , 1);

However I received no rejection notices, just our standard ticket
creation with username and password information in the email.

I checked the book, Wiki and google. I searched through all of the code
under /opt/rt3 and found no references
to the variables above (except of course in the config file), leading me
to believe that this functionality is not implemented.

If anyone knows of anyway to turn off the automatic user creation I
would appreciate it.
Or if you have suggestion as to where I could implement the code to use
these parameters, that would be helpful too.

Thank you.