[rt-users] RT applications

Matthew Keller kellermg at potsdam.edu
Mon May 14 13:14:22 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 18:00 +0200, Teresa Carcelén Fernández wrote:
> Can anyone tell me some examples where RT can be applied for ?
>
> 1. project management

We use RT extensively for project management. Parent/child and
dependency functionality makes this very nice. Also, when using
extensions like TimeLine, you can make snazzy Ganttesque charts.

>  2. help desk,

Our Helpdesk has migrated to use RT exclusively for trouble tickets, and
escalation of issues outside of the Helpdesk.

>  3. NOC ticketing. Basically, this is what it is made for.

I don't think RT was "made for" this, but in concert with AssetTracker
works very good for NOC incident management.

>  4. CRM and

CRM = Customer Relationship Management? If so, when combined with
something like RT-Billing (*cough* <shameless plug> to be released soon
</plug>) makes automation of quotes/estimates and billing trivial. RT's
intrinsic ability to track items based on requestor makes it very easy
to figure out who your noisy customers are as well.... :)

> software development

We have custom fields in development queues for things like "Revision
Version" and "Code Status", and tie this in with SVN (Subversion) to
allow for very fluid tracking of development items. You'd need to put in
some custom legwork to make this really snap, but it works well once
it's fleshed out.

--
Matthew Keller
Information Security Officer & Network Administrator