[rt-users] Get RT to send mail 7-bit encoded?

Otmar Lendl lendl at nic.at
Mon Oct 1 07:28:08 EDT 2007

Hi,

Last week I had to debug an ugly scenario where one person received mangled
emails from RT (truncated text, botched 8-bit characters (Umlauts)).

It turned out that this only affected mail to a certain ISP, and only when
the mail contained larger attachments as well (and not just text).
This is definitly not an RT bug, the mail was sent ok. My current hypothesis
is that whenever the mail is routed through a virus filter at that ISP it
mangles the 8bit data.

So far, this is not RT's fault. The only thing where my side could take the
blame is the fact that my MTA (exim) does not do 8bit -> 7bit conversion when
the peer MTA does not advertize 8BITMIME capability. (which in this case the
ISP doesn't.)

This leaves me with three possibilities to fix this on my side:

1) Junk exim and use a MTA which can do 8bit->7bit conversion
   (e.g. sendmail or postfix)

2) Route outgoing email via a sendmail or postfix box.

3) Convince RT to generate 7bit emails.

Looking through the code of RT 3.4 I don't see how I could do 3).

Did I miss anything here?

/ol
--
/ Otmar Lendl <lendl at nic.at>, T: +43 1 5056416 - 33, F: - 933 \
| nic.at Internet Verwaltungs- und Betriebsgesellschaft m.b.H |