[rt-users] Syslog on Solaris 10

Richard Ellis Richard.Ellis at Sun.COM
Wed Oct 3 03:35:15 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am currently moving our RT instance from 3.4 on a Solaris 9 machine to
3.6 on a Solaris 10 machine and have run into a problem with the system
logging.

For security reasons, our IT guys turn off  the default UDP port 514.
When I asked why, they gave me the following:

"Our builds all turn off the remote syslog port 514. It is generally
considered
a security risk. Some bad person could fill up your disk with bogus
messages.  Local apps should use syslog(3c) or logger(1) to write
to syslog."

Is there a way to convince RT to use logger or syslog(3c) or simply to
write all log output to its own log file instead? This is causing RT to
fail miserably.

Thanks

Richard

--