[rt-users] Rt-mailgate server error weirdness

Paul ribzer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 18:11:41 EDT 2007

Hi There

I'm relatively new to RT but so far it's proven to be a very useful tool! I
am having a slight problem after setting it up on a new server/upgrading to
RT 3.6, specifically where my Exim setup tries to deliver messages to RT
queues.

My current setup details:

Debian etch
Apache 2
Mysql 5.0.32
Exim 4
RT 3.6

The frontend is 100 % operational, and outbound RT responses are sent
succesfully. But I'm struggling to find an answer for what happens below.
The following is an extract of my exim log file:

2007-10-23 22:24:46 1IjryT-0003tY-4j == |/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate
--queue "Administration" --action correspond --url http://localhost/ <
admin at domain.com> R=rt_correspond T=address_pipe defer (0): Child process of
address_pipe transport returned 75 (could mean temporary error) from
command: /usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate

This led me to try and run the command being used manually, but the output
as you can see below isn't really a direct error and confusing me :P

rt-server:/home/paul# cat ./mail.msg | /usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate
--queue "Administration" --action correspond --url http://localhost/
RT server error.

The RT server which handled your email did not behave as expected. It
said:

%# BEGIN BPS TAGGED BLOCK {{{
%#
%# COPYRIGHT:
%#
%# This software is Copyright (c) 1996-2007 Best Practical Solutions, LLC
%#                                          <jesse at bestpractical.com>
%#
%# (Except where explicitly superseded by other copyright notices)
%#
%#
%# LICENSE:
%#
%# This work is made available to you under the terms of Version 2 of
%# the GNU General Public License. A copy of that license should have
%# been provided with this software, but in any event can be snarfed
%# from www.gnu.org.
%#
%# This work is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
%# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
%# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
%# General Public License for more details.
%#
%# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
%# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
%# Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
%# 02110-1301 or visit their web page on the internet at
%# http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.
%#
%#
%# CONTRIBUTION SUBMISSION POLICY:
%#
%# (The following paragraph is not intended to limit the rights granted
%# to you to modify and distribute this software under the terms of
%# the GNU General Public License and is only of importance to you if
%# you choose to contribute your changes and enhancements to the
%# community by submitting them to Best Practical Solutions, LLC.)
%#
%# By intentionally submitting any modifications, corrections or
%# derivatives to this work, or any other work intended for use with
%# Request Tracker, to Best Practical Solutions, LLC, you confirm that
%# you are the copyright holder for those contributions and you grant
%# Best Practical Solutions,  LLC a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable,
%# royalty-free, perpetual, license to use, copy, create derivative
%# works based on those contributions, and sublicense and distribute
%# those contributions and any derivatives thereof.
%#
%# END BPS TAGGED BLOCK }}}
<%flags>
inherit => undef # inhibit UTF8 conversion done in /autohandler
</%flags>
<%ARGS>
$queue => 1
$action => "correspond"
$ticket => undef
</%ARGS>
<%init>
$m->comp('/Elements/Callback', _CallbackName => 'Pre', %ARGS);
use RT::Interface::Email ();    # It's an exporter, but we don't care
$r->content_type('text/plain; charset=utf-8');
$m->error_format('text');
my ( $status, $error, $Ticket ) = RT::Interface::Email::Gateway( \%ARGS );
if ( $status == 1 ) {
  $m->out('ok');
  if ( $Ticket->Id ) {
    $m->out( 'Ticket: '  . ($Ticket->Id             || '') );
    $m->out( 'Queue: '   . ($Ticket->QueueObj->Name || '') );
    $m->out( 'Owner: '   . ($Ticket->OwnerObj->Name || '') );
    $m->out( 'Status: '  . ($Ticket->Status         || '') );
    $m->out( 'Subject: ' . ($Ticket->Subject        || '') );
    $m->out(
      'Requestor: ' . ($Ticket->Requestors->MemberEmailAddressesAsString ||
'') );
  }
}
else {
  $RT::Logger->error( "Could not record email: " . $error );
  if ( $status == -75 ) {
    $m->out( "temporary failure - " . $error );
  }
  else {
    $m->out( 'not ok - ' . $error );
  }
}
$m->abort();
</%init>

rt-server:/home/paul#

As you can see there's no real "error" to look for. I've been googling
forever trying to find a answer, but every case i've looked at least has
some kind of proper error to more or less identify the issue.
"/usr/local/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate"  has execute permissions, and the shebang's
are also correct (#!/usr/bin/perl -w).

I hope someone can point me in the right direction :)

Thanks
Paul