[rt-users] Problem with my.cnf, InnoDB and permissions

Mathew Snyder theillien at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 09:11:37 EDT 2007

Huw Selley wrote:
> Hi Mathew,
>
> On 24/10/07 1:13, "Mathew Snyder" <theillien at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> We're having performance issues which I'm trying to nail down.  One thing
>
> I would try find the bottleneck before changing anything ;)
>
> What makes you believe the database is causing your performance issues?

I'm really only guessing based on the length of time it takes to return tickets
sometimes.  We've found that if a ticket has multiple documents attached to it
or even just several transactions it takes a significantly long time to display.
 I've been thinking about turning on slow_query_logging but have been
sidetracked by other things since I've started looking at this problem.

>> which
>> I wonder might be the issue is the fact that the RT database is configured to
>> use InnoDB but the my.cnf file has all InnoDB-related options commented out.
>
> That should have only mattered when you created the database (the table type
> is set then). If there was no Inno support iirc mysql will use the default
> storage engine (normally MyISAM unless you have changed it) when it creates
> the tables. You can check what your default storage engine is by running
> 'show engines'. One of them should fess up to being the default.
>
> You can check the storage engine on a table by table basis by running 'show
> table status' (after selecting your rt database) e.g:
>
> mysql> use rt;
> Database changed
> mysql> show table status\G
> *************************** 1. row ***************************
>            Name: ACL
>          Engine: InnoDB
>         Version: 10
>      Row_format: Compact
>            Rows: 217
>  Avg_row_length: 226
>     Data_length: 49152
> Max_data_length: 0
>    Index_length: 16384
>       Data_free: 0
>  Auto_increment: 565
>     Create_time: 2007-05-03 15:48:27
>     Update_time: NULL
>      Check_time: NULL
>       Collation: latin1_swedish_ci
>        Checksum: NULL
>  Create_options:
>         Comment: InnoDB free: 6144 kB

Did that.  That's why I started looking at the InnoDB options.