[rt-users] Need help on an approval queue (coding customaction)

Kenneth Crocker KFCrocker at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 11 13:14:45 EDT 2008

Nelson,

	Thanks for the spreadsheet. IT helps a great deal when it comes to
debugging. It looks like you grant your AdminCc role a lot of "global"
rights. If/when you have a lot of queues, this will prove troublesome ,
i.e. a AdminCc will have rights on queues you may not want that person
to mess with. We have 75 queues and we don't let any AdminCc have some
of those rights (create, own, modify) globally because that would give
them the ability to interfere (even accidentally, like replying to an
email and accidentally putting in the wrong ticket id - ends up in a
queue he isn't responsible for) on tickets where he isn't wanted. So
most of theose rights we grant to that role on a queue-by-queue basis.
We already ran into those problems.
	Also, you seem to have granted some rights to individual users. Not
really a good idea unless you never expect to have very many users (like
never more than 10). If some of those users are also in some of those
roles that have global rights, then you have compounded the difficulty
in debugging due to redundant privileges. YOu make take away the right
in one instance but it will remain because of the OTHER instance. So, I
would advise you to analyze the usage situation in your setup and
re-apply those rights accordingly. Remember, once a right is granted
globally to a role or system group, it hardly ever needs to granted
again at a lower level.
	Now to what I think the problem is. Understanding rights is hard
enough, but with Approvals, the conditions under which they apply are
not consistent, at least that is my experiance as well as others I've
seen in the list. This is what we did,
	We took away the ability to create tickets thru email from all queues
except one. That became our "Approvals" queue. We have an AdminCc and
user-defined group for that queue and they can own and modify the
tickets in that queue. If the problem is easily resolved by them, they
do it. If it requires work by someone else, THEY and only THEY move the
ticket to the appropriate queue along with their comments. The receiving
queue has IT's own AdminCc and group that have rights to JUST that queue
and they work on the ticket until resolved, etc. We like this workflow
for several reasons:
	1) The granting and exercise of privileges is more consistent.
	2) All tickets get one ID number and that's it. That way ALL comments,
modifications etc. stay with the ticket and it makes following the audit
trail much easier (as opposed to seeing one ticket number be approved
and another being worked on). The history stays with the ticket.
	3) We force the review of all tickets instead of having them arrive,
helter-skelter into any queue (maybe even the wrong queue) so work
doesn't get mismanaged. All tickets are prioritized compared to ALL
work, not just the work in one queue.
	We haven't had one problem with permissions or correspondence or
anything relating to approvals with this method. That's all I can tell
you. Some Like the RT method and have gotten it to work. I guess that's
why they make different flavors of ice cream (mine is TIn-roof sundae
;-). Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL