[rt-users] RT Virtual Appliance (on Proxmox VE - OpenVZ)

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Apr 21 07:18:45 EDT 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:51 AM, Martin Maurer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We just released a virtualization platform (GPL licensed) http://pve.proxmox.com
>  .
>
> On this platform, pre-build virtual appliance can be started within
> seconds as we use http://openvz.org  here. Please note, by using OS
> virtualization there is little overhead (just 1 to 3 % performance
> loss, really!) – this is absolutely the fastest technology for Linux
> server virtualization. (openVZ is the basis of Virtuozzo, the
> commercial market leader in the VPS market).
>
> We are also building virtual appliances for the use in the
> enterprise, e.g. our own mail gateway, a web filter proxy (both are
> commercial) or a mediawiki appliance and many others will follow in
> the next months. (please note, Proxmox VE is beta, but this will
> change soon – subscribe here for updateshttp://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Mailing_Lists
>  )
>
> We use and love RT since years so we want to contribute also a RT
> appliance – I personally know a lot of companies who wants RT but
> they cannot install it – too difficult. We will solve this problem.
>
> As we are a Debian focused company, we prefer  to build the
> appliance based on Debian Etch (32bit) and it should be using the
> stable RT packages, mysql or postgres (which database  is preferred?).
>
> So I would be happy if anyone can comment our plans and give us
> feedback. Also I would appreciate feedback from Best Practical.

That's really excellent to hear. I'm quite looking forward to seeing
this. With regard to Mysql/Pg: We're pretty flexible. Is one of them
more better packaged for your platform already?

As a heads up, we have something we've been working on to ease RT
installation, though it's not intended as competition against a fully
virtualized solution. Shipwright, our new build and distribution
system is designed to let us version and build RT and a full
dependency chain (currently to "just above libc") and ship source and
fully relocatable platform--specific binary distributions.

Virtualization fits into a different niche than what we're working on
and I suspect that your work will be a better match for many
organizations.  When do you expect people might be able to play with
it? :)

Best,
Jesse