[rt-users] number of queues

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Wed Apr 23 17:26:59 EDT 2008

Greetings,

I am in the early throws of setting up and configuring RT for our
university. I have a question about the granularity with which to create
queues.

First off, is there a performance or otherwise soft or hard limit on the
number of queues that are created? Or is the "only" downside of creating
many queues the fact that you now need to sift through the multitude of
queues to find the one you are interested in?

Secondly, is there namespaces for queues? That is, some way of
organizing queues into logical groups?

Lastly, I am wondering if anyone can confirm the track that I am going
down or otherwise point me in another direction.

I am thinking that we will have somewhere between 4 and 10 "top level"
queues at our university.

Some off the top of my head are:

  - help desk
  - phone network requests
  - maintenance requests
  - projects

Underneath those headings there could be queues such as the following:

+ help desk

  + systems team
  + desktop team
  + maintenance team
  + phone net team
  +
  .
  .
  .
  + team number 50

+ phone net requests

+ maintenance requests

+ projects

  + systems project 1
  +
  .
  .
  .
  + systems project N
  + classroom project 1
  +
  .
  .
  .
  + classroom project N
  + other project
  + etc.

I am looking at creating too many queues? What have others done that are
trying to use RT as the single ticketing system for many different
facets of a large organization?

Thanks,

-Matt Zagrabelny